2nd Arusha Roundtable, Tanzania, September 2009
(East Africa Focal Point)
The Coalition held its annual flagship event, the second Arusha Roundtable, entitled Strengthening the Protection Mechanism of the African Human Rights System – Access to Justice at the African Court, in Arusha on 14 September 2009. Some 40 academics, public interest lawyers, representatives from law associations, subregional African and international courts and human rights activists from across the continent assembled to explore the complementary relationship between the African Court and the African Commission in particular and litigation strategies at the Court.
Some of the outcomes from the meeting are the following:
- Building capacity among lawyers to litigate before the African Court;
- Raising awareness on the procedures of the African Court;
- Requesting advisory opinions at the African Court;
- Tracking cases at the African Commission that could proceed to the African Court; and
- Devising mechanisms to ensure enforcement at country level of decisions of the African Court.
See Report: 2nd Arusha Round Table