Webinar Announcement:The State of the African Human Rights System: Stakeholder ReflectionsAfrican Court Coalition
The objective of the webinar is to provide a platform for reflection on the current state of the African human rights system and the role of key stakeholders in strengthening and supporting the regional human rights bodies.
The webinar will draw upon the findings of Amnesty International’s report entitled “The State of African Regional Human Rights Bodies and Mechanisms 2019-2020”, which was published on 21 October 2020. The report provides a review and analysis of the work, performance, achievements and challenges of the African regional human rights treaty bodies during the period between 1 July 2019 and 30 June 2020. It covers the work of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child, and the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
The webinar will take place under the auspices of six organizations and/or coalitions that engage closely with the African regional human rights bodies: Amnesty International, Centre for Human Rights, Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa, Initiative for Social Economic Rights (ISER), Coalition for the Independence of the African Commission; and the African Court Coalition.
Date: Thursday 12 November 2020, 11:00-12:30 SAST/CET
Format: Zoom, hosted by CHR
Register below: ↓
Moderator/Chair: Osai Ojigho, Director, Amnesty International Nigeria
Speakers (5-7 mins)
1. Japheth Biegon, Africa Regional Advocacy Coordinator, Amnesty International
2. Nkatha Murungi, Assistant Director, Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria
3. Solomon Ayele Dersso, Chairperson, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
4. Grace Kakai, Head of Legal Division, African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights
5. Ayalew Getachew, Senior Child Protection Officer, African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child
6. Pacharo Kayira, Chief State Advocate, Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs, Republic of Malawi